Is it just me, or isn’t greatness what everyone aspires to in one shape or form?
Maybe I’m different. I really want to be better each day and maybe not everyone feels as passionately about this as me, but most people out there want to do more than just a “good-enough” job.
But to turn that spark into a fire, people need more than just a job … they want meaning … they want to be inspired. I know I do.
So what are the ingredients an organization needs to give people the meaning they are looking for at work?
- Mentoring and coaching – yes everyone needs to be managed, but the thing that is going to make me a more successful business-person is mentoring. Someone who takes the time to understand where I want to take my development and guides me on that journey.
- Challenges – most people like the idea of being extended or challenged in how they do their work. So challenge me to do my work more efficiently, more effectively.
- Involved – people like to be included in the decisions of how the business is run. Maybe not the vision and strategy, but included in how these are executed at a grass roots level.
- Appreciated – people need to feel respected and valued. As individuals and as members of a team, sometimes a simple “thank you” is all it takes from the business leaders.
- Empowered – people like to feel they have some level of authority and control over their work (and personal) life. To know you are empowered to fix a client problem is incredibly liberating, and makes me want to go the extra mile.
- Trusted – people want and need to feel that they are trusted, valued, and able to make a difference. If I don’t feel trusted by my organisation or team, I can’t feel appreciated or respected.
- Paid appropriately – funnily enough, for me, what you get paid isn’t the most important thing to me. What is important is that I feel that I am being paid what I am worth … nothing more and nothing less.
Maybe not everything I am looking for, but at least a pretty good start.